Outreach and Professional Development:
Even though I love research, I have many interests that involve personal growth, leadership, and development! I have supervised and mentored many research projects including graduate, undergraduate, secondary, and adult–level students. I am also very active in the professional community and have been extensively involved in STEM outreach, public engagement, and the integration of engineering in education. Through various opportunities, I have developed my own activities/projects and adapted those made by others to implement in workshops and classrooms.
While I am a member of several professional organizations, I am very involved in two particular groups where I am activity engaged in activities and have strong leadership roles. I co-chair several subcommittees of the AIAA ISTC and have helped to organize UAShef. For more information about these activities, see the details below.
Sabo, A. Burrows, and L. Childers, “Shaking Up Pre-Calculus: Incorporating Engineering into K-12 Curricula,” Advances in Engineering Education, ASEE, Vol. 4, Issue 2, Fall 2014. Link
Sabo, M. Mullen, and A. Burrows, “Teaching Bio-Inspired Engineering in K-12 Schools,” 2011 AIAA Infotech@Aerospace, St. Louis, MO, Mar. 2011, AIAA-2011-1601.
Outreach and Public Engagement:
I enjoy actively engaging students and the public in local research through STEM outreach, Public Engagement (PE), and the integration of engineering in education. My particular interest in outreach is in promoting STEM careers for young people and in creating STEM activities that connect classroom material with real-life examples and applications. I have supported countless events including:
- Won £9k in 3 different funds for outreach and public engagement activities
- Initiated and led numerous outreach activities and workshops (e.g. Excellence Hubs, Future Scholars, Discover STEM, Cool to be Clever Club, Boyscouts of America, and more!)
- Developed several PE Exhibits (e.g. “Bee-Hind a Bee Mind” in 2015 Sheffield Science Exhibition)
- Delivered dozens of PE Talks (e.g. Mobile Uni, Beekeepers of Sheffield, Girlscouts of America)
- Supported activities at dozens of other STEM outreach and PE events
I am constantly striving for personal and professional growth. I accomplish this by reflecting on development needs and seeking out PD workshops and courses in these areas:
- Leadership and management training (e.g. “Practical Project Management”, “Springboard for Women”, “Women in Leadership”, and more)
- Mentoring programs (recognized as a “Dedicated Outstanding Mentor”)
- Workshops for cognition, autonomy, and intelligent systems in aerospace
- Training in engineering education, instructional planning, programming, parallel computing, and more
Supervision and Mentoring
I have mentored many research projects including graduate, undergraduate, secondary, and adult–level students since 2007. Topics of research I have supervised include controlling robots with EMG and EEG technology, developing IR controllers for swarm robotics, visual navigation for UAVs, ground control for autonomous UAVs, robotics, experimental testing with UAVs, and earthquake engineering.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Member since 2008
- Senior Member since 2014
- Intelligent Systems Technical Committee (ISTC)
Unmanned Air Systems at Sheffield (UAShef)
- Since 2014
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)